Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Luray Caverns




Yes, I know that Luray Caverns are famous for being a fabulous attraction already. I had some worries, however, taking my family there because one of us is in a wheelchair (me), one of us is special needs (autistic) and the fact that there is seven of us to keep track of. I just wanted to let you know that we all had a wonderful time and that they have a wheelchair lift for the steepest part of the trail (the beginning descent.) The rest of the trail did give my husband a workout, but he was able to push me through the caverns.
The admission fee automatically gives you a set of headphones in which you type in a 3-number code at each of the stops along the trail and a little information blurb plays. It is nice that they have an adult and a child's version at each site (different set of numbers) so that it is not too long for the little ones or too watered down for the adults.
The caverns are beautiful and too awesome to describe. There is a lot of variety, too, in the types of formations at Luray. Highly recommend as a family summer adventure. Click here for more pictures.

1 comment:

Corinne said...

We have got to just DO THIS someday. My husband taught at a scout camp near there