Saturday, July 5, 2008

Boating in Seattle

For those of you who don’t know, my home, Mount Vernon, is about an hour to Seattle. I love Seattle. I haven’t gotten to do much there, but every trip has been great. It makes me wish I had more time and money to do more there. Well yesterday the family got a huge treat…

Erik’s nurse, Judy, and her husband Bob have a boat on Lake Union. From Lake Union, which is right next to the University of Washington, you can go through the locks and get out to Puget Sound, or you can got through “the cut” and get to Lake Washington. We got there around noon and had lunch as we cruised Lakes Union and Washington.
First for Lake Union—gorgeous sites of Seattle: UW, the boat houses (including the “Sleepless in Seattle” houseboat), restaurants, parks, the city skyline, the barges where they would shoot off an amazing Fourth of July fireworks show that evening, and tons of boats! Now I know most people don’t know a sole who owns a boat on Lake Union, but you can get a taste of the action if you visit Seattle. Check out “Ride the Ducks Seattle”. These are amphibious tour cars so you get a drive around the city as well as some boating on the lake. I haven’t done it myself, but I was impressed seeing all the “Ducks” on the lake. I think it would be a great tour! I’m sure I’ll be dragging future visitors on one…

Now for Lake Washington. This lake is next to Bellevue. Don’t know Bellevue? Think Microsoft, think Bill Gates (is he still the wealthiest man on the planet?)—he lives there. On the lake. The amazing thing…you can’t tell which house is his. It is miles and miles of mansion after mansion after mansion. I’m kicking myself for not dragging my camera out to take photos, but I was basically mesmerized. I’ve never seen anything like it in all my life. How it is even possible that there are that many people, THAT wealthy in one place? It boggles the mind.
In summary, it was a beautiful day full of beautiful sites. I can’t wait for our next invitation!

1 comment:

Corinne said...

HOLY COW. I want to be where you are!!! It looks gorgeous - and I love being out on a boat. That amphibious boat ride sounds like a riot. Thanks for sharing :)