Sunday, August 24, 2008

Bodie & Hatteras Lighthouses - Outer Banks, NC

The Bodie Island Lighthouse was by far my favorite of the three we visited this trip. It was just stunning and I still get a pit of awe in my stomach when I think about it. It is currently not open for climbing, but restoration plans are in progress.




Since we were already partway to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, we decided to head down there as well. Cape Hatteras is the largest lighthouse in the US and was relocated in 1999 due to the encroaching sea. We arrived well after climbing hours, but enjoyed the setting sun. They paint the lighthouse every 5-7 years, and unfortunately, I think it is overdue!


All of the lighthouses on the Outer Banks are still functional as not all ships have GPS. The come on at dusk and turn off at dawn. We all really enjoyed watching the Bodie Island Light flash on our drive home.

1 comment:

Corinne said...

That sunset picture is amazing!