Thursday, August 7, 2008

RibbonWalk Urban Forest - Charlotte, NC


We dropped Jonah off at a friend's house for the afternoon and I decided to take the remaining three kiddies to the RibbonWalk Urban Forest. It was a very hot afternoon, but I figured we wouldn't be gone long. I was right about that, but for all the wrong reasons.


I was woefully unprepared for this adventure. I didn't really think it would be that big of a deal. I figured it was a county maintained park, and based on the trails at Francis Beatty, I thought this would be a little more...um...PAVED. When they say hiking, they aren't kidding. Crocs and flip flops are not going to cut it for footwear. It was buggy, so don't forget the insect repellent like Carter reminded me I did every 15 seconds or so. Also, it felt a little creepy being in this huge forest all by myself. We ran into a couple of other people (none with children) but I just couldn't shake the thought that the four of us could go missing here without a trace.


The scenery was gorgeous with tall trees and small ponds dotting the landscape. Courtney came to the astute conclusion that we should:

1. Go back with Dad.
2. In the fall.
3. When there are no flies.
4. Or mosquitoes.
5. And the leaves are probably gorgeous.


It is a slice of heaven not far from downtown (Courtney liked this gnarly tree), but follow the Scout motto and BE PREPARED.

1 comment:

Corinne said...

I like this post! I especially like how you decided together how it would be better next time. I want to see pictures from the fall :)