Sunday, August 24, 2008

Jockey's Ridge & Currituck Beach Lighthouse - Outer Banks, NC

First stop was Jockey's Ridge State Park. Jockey's Ridge is 420 acres of sand dunes, the largest natural sand dune system in the Eastern US. It rained on us pretty steadily the whole time, but that didn't stop us from having fun.






The pictures don't do the scope of these dunes justice, but we all had fun running down the dunes (most of us falling down) and we watched the hang gliders for a little bit from the hang gliding school located there.

Next stop was lunch. We ate at Bob's Grill and I still laugh every time I think of the restaurant's slogan:

Our last stop of the day was to the Currituck Beach Lighthouse.

I have always loved lighthouses so I was so pleased when Jonah took a hugely enthusiastic approach to the top of the lighthouse. Jonah was the first one of the group up the 214 steps and chatted with me incessantly the whole way. About halfway up, I found out that I've developed my mother's fear of heights, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the view at the top.


1 comment:

Corinne said...

I have stood at the top of that lighthouse!! I've never heard of Jockey's Ridge though - I need to try it. We'll be in Corolla over conference weekend for a wedding, I may try to get over there. I like the family picture :)