Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden--Belmont, NC

On Saturday afternoon, my mom and Courtney and I decided to brave the 100 degree heat and visit the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden. I got a family membership, and I'm glad I did because I will definitely be back. It was breathtakingly gorgeous!

They were banding hummingbirds to learn more about their migration to Central America each year. We got to watch them work up close as they weighed each bird and noted their age and other statistics. I believe they logged at least 73 hummingbirds on Saturday. The hummingbirds were everywhere!

I love a good pergola.

Courtney walking through the maze. The maze has various stopping points for kids that teach them about the different parts of a plant--roots, stems, flowers.

I got so many ideas for my own garden. I could definitely see the value in coming every couple of months to see what is growing. In September they are going to let off 1,500 butterflies in the Orchid Conservatory which should be an awesome site to see. They allow picnicking anywhere on the grounds and there is a 1/2 mile woodland trail in addition to the grounds which take about an hour or so to walk through. I think it would be a great place for a Sunday afternoon with the family.

1 comment:

Corinne said...

I want to go there!! Sounds like a fantastic outing. I've never seen a hummingbird up close before. What a find.