Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Detroit Michigan Zoo - Royal Oak, MI

Early in the summer, the boys and I went to the zoo as part of a playgroup activity with our church. Having just moved to the area, I didn't know who I was looking for or what they looked like, I am still amazed that I actually found the group. Upon entering the Zoo, I was highly irritated because they asked me to give them money. Money? It's a zoo, aren't they all free? Well, apparently not. I guess that is the wonderful thing about living near the nation's capitol. Go figure. After paying $20, or more I really can't remember, we entered the zoo.




I have to say that it was totally worth the money. The place is huge and they have some really neat features. Even a train that takes you from one end to the next, so that you don't have to walk your tired feet all the way back to the beginning. (Bring cash, it costs money too.) We really enjoyed the butterfly exhibit and the absolute best was the polar bear exhibit. It really was amazing.



There is this beautiful tunnel that goes right through the water, so you can see the sea lions and bears swim right next to or over you.



They had a penguin exhibit and the prairie dog exhibit had tubes that the kids could poke their heads in and be right in the middle of all the frolicking prairie dogs. We liked it so much that we bought a season pass. Well, Jackson and I did, Luke will grow to like it...

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I agree with you that living in the nation's capitol spoils you: I moved away 7 years ago, and I STILL have problems paying for zoos and museums... That said, I used to live in Michigan, and if you're not too far away (ie, south or west of Detroit), then the Toledo Zoo is the better place to go. :)

Corinne said...

I don't like surprises that cost me money :) That being said, it looks like a GREAT zoo and I'm so glad you got out with new friends. Looks like Jackson loved it!