Sunday, August 24, 2008

Kitty Hawk - Kill Devil Hills, NC

While in the Outer Banks, we went to Kitty Hawk. It was amazing to think that the Wright Brothers flew here in 1903...and that just wasn't that long ago. Explaining the advent of flight to the kids was more difficult than I imagined. There are two visitor areas there, one older museum and one opened in 2003 to celebrate 100 years of flight. The older museum houses a full-scale replica of the airplane that flew December 17, 1903.


Outside, markers note the distances of each of the four flights flown that historic day.

In the dunes of Kill Devil Hills above the airfield, a monument has been erected to honor the Wright Brothers. I love the inscription which reads:

IN COMMEMORATION OF THE CONQUEST OF THE AIR BY THE BROTHERS WILBUR AND ORVILLE WRIGHT. CONCEIVED BY GENIUS, AND ACHIEVED BY DAUNTLESS RESOLUTION AND UNCONQUERABLE FAITH.


View from the top of the dunes:

My Wilbur and Orville looking over the airfield:

1 comment:

Corinne said...

Awesome! We took our kids there in 04 - I really liked it. I have a picture of them together on top of that hill too :) It's a great place to take kids, I think :)